36 China Town (2006)
Name: 36 China Town
Directed By:Abbas Alibhai Burmawalla & Mastan Alibhai Bumawalla
Did I watch this recently? No
Sonia Chang (Ishaa Koppikar) a casino owner, lives in her huge mansion 36 China Town. When her son goes missing, she becomes distraught and offers 25 lakh rupees as a reward. Raj (Shahid Kapoor) and Priya (Kareena Kapoor) stumble upon each other and come across the missing child. They decide to split the reward money. They catch a bus to Goa in order to return the child. Upon reaching 36 China Town near midnight, they call Sonia Madam, but getting no reply they decide to investigate the house and search for Sonia. Inside they find Sonia Chang’s dead body. When police inspector Karan (Akshaye Khanna) comes to investigate the murder, he has evidence against all the different suspects, but doesn’t know who really committed the murder. The suspense comedy of who murdered Sonia form the rest of the movie.
- Many critics stated that the film suffered from lack of suspense – but i think they were looking at this movie the wrong way. Its an entertainer with a good mixture of comedy and suspense. Its more of a ‘whodunit’ then action packed suspense. I think the entertainment value of this movie far exceeds the problems with the thriller value of the movie.
- There are several catchy songs to keep your toes tapping including the expensively shot ‘Ashqui Mein Teri’ with Ishaa Koppikar & Upen Patel and my own personal favourite ’24 7 I think of You’. Both very catchy.
- Cinematography is top-notch in the film.
- You may not fall in love with Upen Patel in the movie but he has an awesome pick up line his sleazy character ‘Rocky’ uses – “Is your father a terrorist? Cause it looks like he made a sex bomb”. That pick up line is so cheesy it cracks me up everytime.
- For me Shahid & Kareena had more chemistry in this film then the criticsgive them credit for. In fact you can ask anyone i was a die hard Kareena hater up until this film. I saw 36 China Town, Omkara & Yuva all within a couple of weeks which changed my mind forever. I thoroughly enjoyed her in this movie and i think its a good kareena converter movie.
- The cigarette gag in the movie. Soon before this film was made the Indian Censors Tribunal created a law saying that people could no longer be seen smoking in the movies. In order to get around this problem for their Noir Styled Cop Character, Akshaye Khanna, there is hilarious cigarette gags. Finding different ways each time for the cop not being able to light his cigarette.
- Most of the time the movie’s comedy does not rely on physical comedy, which is so common in alot of Indian comedies.
- Despite all the good points I have outlined, don’t expect big. The trick to this film is to have low expectations and be suprised when your so entertained by the film. For many people this film might not be enjoyable/work for them.
- Think of it as a timepass
- Weak suspense aspects for people expecting a good suspense thriller. Cliched at times and predictable.
- Some might find it disconcerting how light they treated the death of the mother (Sonia) for the little boy.
- Upen Patel, although easy on the eyes, in my opinion is a terrible actor.
- PARESH RAWAL IN A GREEN SPEEDO!
Overall Score 3.5/5 Hairy Anil Kapoors – It’s Great Entertainment but limited to timepass!